Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Post Retirement Post

Morgan announced his retirement and consequently I am at a loss as to weather to continue with this little waste of time which gives me a bit of an outlet for some verbose verbal poo that represents the things i dig. While i contemplate these matters I thought i might have a little shralp about the Canadian Hockey teams Gold medal of glory on the last day of the winter olympics. Last year i spent an inordinate amount of time with these crazy bastards with maple syrup pulsing through their veins and one thing I learnt that they are a proud bunch and the one pass time that is intrinsic to their national identity is Hockey. I knew that while they were on top of the medal count they would happily have swapped a win in this game for all the curling, skeleton and long distance speed skating medals in existence. As a result I made a point to be up and in front of my television when this game was on and I am friging glad I got involved.

The Canadian hellmen, with the weight of their countries expectations on their shoulders went skits early and raced to a two goal lead, which at surface level seemed pretty glorious. However having watched the Canadian dudes get off to a similar lead against Romanovia or some other crazy country and has spent most of the last 50 years hidden behind the iron curtain, before losing their mind and almost losing their minds and blowing it, I was more than a little nervous. When the USA pulled some crazy Mighty Ducksesque shit and pulled their goalie out in order to give them and extra outfield player, and scored with 24 seconds to go I thought this would end up going the way of a typical American sporting movie.

However the Canadians were the men and took it out with a glorious goal in extra time. I was reading the Herald today and their is no point trying to pen something when it was put so beautifully in this excerpt from the article.

With just over a minute remaining, the US gambled all on an ''empty net'' play: no goalkeeper, six outfielders. With 24 seconds of this siege remaining, Zach Parise slapped a rebound into the net. A nation was hushed.

Almost eight minutes into golden-goal extra time, veteran Jarome Iginla, two-goal hero of Salt Lake City, worked the puck to Crosby who without a second's hesitation flashed it through the merest chink of a gap on Miller's near side. ''I just shot it; maybe it went five hole,'' Crosby said. ''Five hole'' is hockey slang for ''between the legs''. It was the only one of five goals in the final that was not scored from rebound or deflection; it was pure.

Fairly or not, this one gold was worth the sum of Canada's other 13.

I was digging so many things about this sequence of events. I loved that my Canadian mates would have been digging it, that the person who wrote the article referred to the gold medal winning moment as pure and I was stoked at my own altruism as I got a little chocked up with pride at the success of the nation that houses so many of my little friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment