Sunday, July 18, 2010

Waugh of the Worlds

With consecutive Rosebud loses interjected by a Shreddies semi final capitulation I have begun to lose faith in the propensity of sport to bring happiness into my life. However my mate Scooter Matuia lent me a DVD of old ashes moments and in my post Friday night stupor I tried to regain my mind while watching some of Alan Border and Ian Bothams favourite ashes moment.

As the DVD replayed the hundred that Steve Waugh scored by striking the last ball of the day for four I was once again able to feel the beauty of sport and potential it holds for allowing a mere man to become great in the eyes of his countrymen. One of my greatest regrets to this day is passing up the opportunity to go to this games play because there was a little swell around that day. My father still regales me with his account of grown men hugging with tears streaming from their eyes as the ball approached the boundary rope. Imagine how much of a hellman Steve would have felt like that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment