While it is certainly extremely humerous and entertaining to manipulate the sounds coming out of your mouth into a subversive language. It allows you to give a greater context and understanding to previously confronting or confusing situations, provides the means to communicate in a type of code with your friends that allows you to escape censure from those out of the loop and is the means for countless hours of language based jokes. However, as I have recently found out there is indeed a dark side lurking beneath the creation and perpetuation of new phrases and words.
I found this out first hand recently while getting involved in Wollongongs dubious nightlife. While fanging around the Thursday hotspot that is the Illawarra hotel, I was aghast to hear a certain phrase that I feel at least partly responsible for being uttered from the mouth of a female, to whom I was previously unacquainted. The phrase was "neg spiral" and much to my chagrin, came from the mouth of renowned Internet pizzler, Amelia Dent. To say I was mortified would be an understatement. The look on my face must have betrayed what I was thinking, as fellow pioneer of silly and entertaining language, James Dixon simply shook his head and uttered "yeah man, that's the fucked up part about the shit our group says, people like that using it".
In one last attempt to leave my mark on the term "neg spiral" before it is lost to the world forever I decided to register it on urban dictionary. The following is the definition and example of relevant usage that I came up with.
Neg spiral The phenomenon that occurs when one falls into a deep chasm of emotional despair, which deeply affects ones whole outlook on life. The length of this condition can vary greatly, as some cases can last a matter of hours, while others are terminal.
Jack- Far out dude I am losing my mind!
Dicko- Are you still negging over that babe?
Jack- Yeah, I have descended into the biggest neg spiral.
No comments:
Post a Comment