Monday, April 26, 2010

Thrash'd

Todd Barnes is some kind of hellman. He is a sporting prodigy, a designer of the most wearable and up to date surf wear that this earth has ever seen and a shralper on the boogs when time allows. For God's sake the man even had the prescience and vision to run a Brittany Spears song on his very own section of his first ever movie.

However, in my own humble opinion, his greatest achievement has come in the form of his three most recent film projects Video, Thrash and Thrash'd. Anyone who has seen quality boogie boarding go down recently can attest that it is some rad shit to watch and all the dudes who are getting involved are making wave riding on your belly look like a glorious thing to do. So while most current movies have ample raw stock footage to build on it is in the construction and presentation of his films where Barney has fanged ahead.

In this funny little sub culture which bodyboarding resides, where to the ability to have some sort of oblique image is paramount, the movies, their subjects and even the music has become more and more abstract. Lifestyle, affects and music with a focus on tone have become the current trend and the fast paced action of the past has been somewhat cast aside. I am the first to admit that I have found this transition somewhat difficult as I used to place the amount I dug a particular pop punk song of a section on par with the skill level of the rider in the section.
As a result I was a little apprehensive when I took my seat at the Thrash'd premiere and the opening credis kicked in with a plethora of lifestyle shots and empty waves, set to an ambivalent musical piece. Oh ye of little faith. For the next hour or so I sat entirely enthralled in the film and it flowed through a year and half where a lot of good times have evidently gone down. While he had the same formula as many of his contemporaries Barnsey proved he is an omniscient, omnipotent force in his field and has created the apotheosis of bodyboarding films to date. He has indeed taken bodyboarding (an all surf films for that recognised as an art form.

Barnsey graciously has put up a clip of the South Coast section, one of my favourites from the film. Enjoy.


THRASH'D - South Coast Highlights from Todd Barnes on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment