

"You know, say what you will about the ravages of sports in this corporate age where overpaid athletes expect prima Donna treatment, but there's still something unifying about sport in it's purest form, when athletes rise above themselves and touch greatness, and in doing so remind us all that we all have greatness inside of us". Indeed these are timeless and provocative words that span the various athletic pursuits that humans engage in. You may ask what kind of great human uttered this timeless phrase. The fact that it was not Peter Roebuck or Ray "Rabbits" Warren or some cliche happy American sporting coach, it was the fictional One Tree Hill character (and resident Tree Hill radio commentator hellman) Mouth McFadden. So while there may have been far greater, more inspiring and less scripted words spoken about the sporting achievements of man, the emotional state I was in after the Dragons sealed their first premiership in 31 one years is probably best summed up by words spoken in a teen drama.
All week, nay, all year I was losing my mind at every mention of the Dragons and their premiership challenge. For weeks I had been getting smashed with claims of them being the "shortest priced favourites in 20 years", "chokers", "certainties", having no attack and as a result had no chance against first the roosters and then the Tigers. I was doing all I could to simply avoid having a panic attack every time I flipped to the sporting section of the paper or turned on the evening news. To put it in Layman's terms, I was teetering upon the edge of a serious neg vortex, one so powerful, I was unsure I could ever escape if I ultimately toppled off the edge.
As the final moments of the Tigers game counted down and I screamed my teets off with what little remained of my voice, I was embraced by five fully grown men, most of whom would be lying if they said their eyes were completely free of tears. Shouts of ecstasy filled the air and while I was truly happy, even at that very moment thoughts of doubt and fear gripped my mind, wondering how I would deal with the next week and the possibility of witnessing a fourth Dragons grand final life in my twenty four years on this little planet of ours.
Thankfully for me the Grand Final week fell smack bang in the middle of the ample teets known as the school holidays. My newly acquired profession as a primary school dividends as I hate the free time and money to get as drunk as possible in the lead up to the match. On Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights I went wild and drank until my anxiety subsided and walked away from any conversation in which someone attempted to vibe me about the Dragons chances. I was even So hungover for most of the time the fact that ten out of the twelve tipsters in the Herald tipped the Roosters to win did not affect me too greatly (Thats a lie it sent me on an instant neg spiral, one which Patrick Woodley was also unable to escape). On Saturday night, heading towards the city, Greeniosis Lounges, or the Common Lounge Sloth (AKA Adam Joel John Windgrave Green) we made a pact not to even mention the game or the potential outcome, thats how heavily it was weighing on our minds.
Finally the day arrived and while I was brimming with anticipation, I was far calmer and more composed than i thought I would be. This may largely attributed to my hangover of doom and by the time I sat down at the residence of OLAMIW, Greeny and CO I was feigning a sense of quiet optimism, while the poisonous clouds of doom steadily gathered in my mind. As the game approach a hail of messaged poured rapidly from the heavens and while all our phones were going wild, we decided that it was time for phones to go off and stay off.
The game is history so I will simply give my top 5 personal moments of the 2010 Telstra Premiership decider.
1- The First Born
During the minutes leading up to the game I was singing the praises of our courageous winging Jason Nightingale, using typical hyperbole as the best player in the competition and the greatest to ever pull on the famous Red V. It was during this time that I, in a moment that teeters between brilliance and madness, declared that if the Dragons won I would name my first born son Nightingale as a constant reminder of this fateful day. Luckily Pat was ready as always with his I phone and recorded it in an attempt of creating a legally binding document. History goes on to show that Nightingale went on to have a bloinder and score two incredibly crucial, and equally as brilliant, tries right after half time. The icing on the cake was whipped up by perennial Dragons hater, Chris Bauer, who had messaged me shortly before half time when Nightingale made his only mistake of the contest, dropping a steepling bomb, asking me "is Nightingale still the best player in rugby league?". The simple reply of "yes" that i was able to launch into the world via my mobile phone at full time was the most satisfying message i have ever sent. /div>
2- Cooking With Gaz
Clearly the first try was always going to be vital in such a big game and this one was pretty bullshit. During the season the Dragons decided to lure Mark Gasnier back to the club with a heavily back ended contract. People were losing their mind as he walked straight into first grade, upset an already strong right side of the field, where Beau Scott had been shralping his balding teets off, and played rather mediocre at best. However this was all forgotten as he flew through the air with the beauty of one of the French babes he undoubtedly got involved with in his stint in rugby union and planted the ball centimeters from the doom of the dead ball line.
3- Till's Mates
Just prior to half time, the hottest club promoter in town and norther suburbs own Lothario, Ben Tillman entered with his entourage of hired goons. With their typical arty nonchalance they stood around stunned as they beheld the madness that was unfolding in front of them. They stood terrified as they witnessed a barrage of supports, abuse and language that over stepped the mark of acceptable of many occasions. Their clear lack of passion for the game only added to tensions and when the female of the group, a woman in her mid fourties, decided to voice her fondness for the roosters shit nearly got out of hand as people started blowing up all over the shop. Morgan forcefully asked her to leave and it was fortunate that as Todd Carney lined up his second unsuccessful conversion for the night she took his advice and left.
4- Dean Young's Try
Having a father who was the last successful Dragons captain 31 years ago must be fucking wild. For Dean Young the weight of expectation must have been unbearably heavy on his mack daddy shoulders. As he burst through the roosters line to score the match sealing try with about twenty minutes ago the relief and jubilance was palpable throughout the stadium and the lounge room we were sitting in. As a group we erupted with full beers being poured on heads, manly embraces that held as much passion as any hetro-sexual relationships and the breakage of one treasured x-box three sixty. Dean Young planted to the ball and pointed the famous crest that emblazoned his chest, with a pride and excitement that we all felt. I have never been happier than I was at this moment.
5- Post Match Celebrations
As the full time whistle sounded the celebrations began on the field and continued as they had for the last twenty or so minutes for us. Tears welled up behind the eye lids of grown men as they realised their boy hood dreams were finally coming true. Phone calls of glory were going down left right and centre. Notable mentions include Koots who called from London losing his mind, where he had payed hundreds of Euros to fly back solo to watch the game and Morgan's Dad who happily announced "he would not be going walk about this time" (refer to previous blog on the 99 Grand Final Loss for details). The night quickly descended from their as the Dragons collected the trophy we got involved in shoeeys and multiple renditions of The Saints Go Marching in, before powering to the Ryans to get bloind on celebratory cocktails.
No comments:
Post a Comment